The Tippet Foundation was established in 1948 by C.F. Basil Tippet to support charitable organizations and the overall welfare of vulnerable communities in the City of Toronto.
Born in St. John New Brunswick in 1896, and raised in Montreal, Mr. Tippet moved to Toronto in 1913, where he continued his education and began his business career. Over thirty years, Mr, Tippet created an integrated freight forwarding, warehousing and moving and storage business starting in 1918 principally through two companies - Howell Warehouses and Tippet-Richardson Limited.
He was very active in community affairs and was President of the Toronto Board of Trade 1919-1921, member of the Central Board of Directors of the YMCA, President of the Big Brother movement from 1936-1941 and President of The Rotary Club of Toronto and Rotary District Governor in 1945.
One of his greatest contributions to Toronto was through the Tippet Foundation which he created in 1948 and ran, as President until his death in 1959. His wife, Doris Tippet, continued his work, as President of the Foundation, until her death in 1989. The Foundation continues to be guided by the Tippets' commitment to the City of Toronto and the well-being of its most vulnerable citizens.